Jordan: Regional Livelihood Advisor
7 May 2017 | Norwegian Refugee Council
View Original Posting
The Norwegian Refugee Council is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. NRC operations is in the Middle East have grown significantly in recent years and further growth is expected in the months to come. With large operations in such fluid contexts, the NRC Middle East Regional Office has a stimulating and rewarding work environment, a collaborative workforce and genuine place of passion responding to a region in crisis.
The Middle East Regional Office based in Amman, Jordan was created in January 2014 as part of NRC’s reorganization process. We currently have more than 3,000 staff in the Middle East region assisting people displaced by conflict in Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, Turkey, Jordan and Palestine. Our work is concentrated on the shelter, education, food security, legal assistance and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors with strong protection and resilience focus integrated into our programs.
The purpose of the regional Livelihood advisor is to be the organization's regional expert, responsible for supporting the Country Offices and Regional Office in the strategic development of high quality and coherent core competence responses.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience as a manager within the humanitarian field, including (ideally) experience of working as an adviser.
- Good experience in participatory approaches and in working with local partners, civil society, authorities, etc, in addition to experience in building and improving livelihood capacity, good understanding for NRC core activities and programmes. Advanced understanding of holistic livelihood and resilience analysis associated to conflict and displacement contexts.
- Experience in working with livelihoods approaches in hard-to-access areas, protracted crisis and contexts affected by multiple displacement and return patterns.
- Working with strategies and policies, and transfer them into working tools and resources.
- A team player with ability to navigate, possession of solid representation skills and proven analytical, communication skills and an influential person.
- Solution oriented person and ability to overcome complex challenges.
- Experience in the Middle East and Arabic language are a plus.
Key Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Support NRC’s strategic development of the core competencies (including pilot projects) in close cooperation with the Global Advisers in Programme Development and Support Section
- Responsible to ensure that LIVELIHOOD sensitive programme designs, development processes and pilots are incorporated in field programmes, in close cooperation with the relevant advisers in the Programme Development and Support Section
- Bring forward the logic links between the CCs that foster livelihood sensitive country programme design
- Roll out and operationalize regional approach to livelihoods-sensitive programming in the Country Offices
- Standardise approaches and guidelines supporting livelihood sensitive programme and project design
- Contribute to the development of programme tools and guidance documents to reflect needs and humanitarian trends upon request and in close cooperation with the relevant advisers in the Programme Development and Support Section
- Review and analyse regional trends associated to livelihood approaches being applied in the region
- Establish partnership/collaboration with relevant academic and research institutions in the region (learning and documentation)
- Support and assist country programmes with Livelihoods risk analysis and designing prevention strategies (livelihood protection)
[12 months’ contract]
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty Station: Amman, family Duty Station
Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NB: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location in the "Company name" field for both company and location.
For more information, please find attached the Job Description
Return to Jobs